09 July 2010

Why is social media so difficult?

I have spent a lot of my time over the last few months looking for volunteers to participate in a social media experiment.

My colleagues objections and hesitance is based on some their lizard brain talking to them:
· I’m not sure I’m interesting
· Other people are better writers than me
· What would I talk about?

I’m sure, like me, you’ve heard this before. Normally from reluctant friends we have invited to join us at social engagement where they won’t know anyone. I remember taking a junior account manager to his first industry networking event at the TMA in Brighton having the same concerns. Unsurprisingly he shone that night, just as my colleagues will excel on mallowstreet.com

Operating in forums and blog sites is no different from attending a professional networking event.

I know it’s a cliché, but business to business is people to people. You wouldn’t show up to network in a corporate t-shirt carrying brochures looking for someone to broadcast to. Online, just as with any networking event, requires the simplest of approaches to be successful:

Go along, listen, chat, learn a little, share a little, be yourself and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment