09 May 2011

Get off my business case


Continuation of my look below the surface on B2B social media…


Let’s kick off with some controversy ;-).


I am a ‘value based’ marketer. In fact, it was reading Peter Doyle’s book of the same title when I was studying my Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing that I decided that I needed to go further and get an MBA so that I could one day influence a whole organisation to the concept. (Even Kotler said the book could spark Mareting revolution).


If you are new to the approach, I recommend you look into how it can work for you. In the meantime, value based marketing is based on delivering shareholder value (in the form of return on investment/equity) based on delivering greater value to your customers (according to what they are prepared to pay) relative to your competition. There are countless examples of business that have consistently achieved this, First Direct Bank, Apple, Volkswagen and Starbucks.


So by extension, the concept goes that every marketing activity should be measured and reported in terms of shareholder value. Now as I said, I am a value based marketer, I think linking the sum of all marketing activity to shareholders returns is absolutely the right way to go. It drives the correct behaviours in the marketing function and delivers the right outcomes for the businesses ultimate owners.


However, I have had more than my fair share of exposure to management accounting at under grad, through my MBA, and from some very real experience at Honeywell. I draw the line at the minutiae of job costing including every single overhead. Firstly, because the calculation enters the realm of diminishing returns, secondly, because I don’t think the calculation adds any insight to the marketing led management decisions, and thirdly because it’s a faff.


So where’s the controversy? Well, having established I am not going to, and nor would advocate you should, measure the value of every single marketing activity, I recommend you don’t get drawn on applying some different set of metrics to social media. Yes it’s new, yes it may need an additional FTE to monitor pages or shepherd content, but that’s a marketing exec, not an administrator. A marketing exec should be adding value to every administrative task, and aligning those tasks to shareholder value (through adding value to clients).


We can’t realistically track any sale to a single brochure, single exhibition stand or video blog on our web site. It’s not even just down to the tender document we responded to. It is the sum of all these activities integrated to tell a single story that offers greater value to the client, relative to the cost of purchase and what our competitors offer.


I discussed this at the Finextra conference with another delegate from a Bank, they told me they did measure the value f every single activity, whether that be a stand at an event for thousands or an intimate event for a handful of clients, but they couldn’t tell me how they linked a sale to a specific marketing interaction, or be precise about how may pounds of revenue were returned for every pond of marketing expenditure. But they did have 3 people dedicated to generating spurious metrics that strangely enough, they always exceeded.


If you disagree, I would like to hear from you. As a committed value based marketer, I remain open to resolving this. But in the meantime, the case for B2B social media remains as and increasingly essential tool to support business developers broaden and deepen their relationships to sell more, whatever you produce. And how to measure how successful you are that? I think they call that dividends, or in other words, shareholder value…

No comments:

Post a Comment